Download my complete CV here.
- In preparation: McCreery, H.F. “Individual persistence promotes group coordination during cooperative transport in ants.”
- McCreery, H.F., Breed, M.D., Nagpal, R. (2016). “Collective strategy for obstacle navigation during cooperative transport by ants.” Journal of Experimental Biology. 219: 3366-3375. [PDF]
- McCreery, H.F., Correll, N., Breed, M.D., Flaxman, S. (2016). “Consensus or deadlock? Simple behavioral rules and their consequences for coordination in self-organized groups.” PLoS ONE. 11(9): e0162768. [Link]
- Breed, M.D., Cook, C.N., McCreery, H., Rodriguez, M. (2015). “Nestmate and kin recognition in honeybees.” In Social Recognition in Invertebrates, L. Aquiloni and E. Tricarico, eds, Springer.
- McCreery, H.F. and Breed, M.D. (2014). “Cooperative transport in ants: a review of proximate mechanisms.” Insectes Sociaux. 61: 99-110. [PDF]
- Pizzaro, L.C., McCreery, H.F., Lawson, S.P., Winston, M.E., and O’Donnell, S. (2012). “Sodium-specific foraging by leafcutter ant workers (Atta cephalotes, Hymenoptera: Formicidae).” Ecological Entomology. Vol. 37: 435-348. [PDF]
- O’Keefe, K.J., Silander, O.K., McCreery, H., Weinreich, D.M., Wright, K.M., Chao, L., Edwards, S.V., Remold, S.K., and Turner, P.E. (2010). “Geographic differences in sexual reassortment in RNA phage.” Evolution. Vol. 64: 3010-3023.
Publications (not peer-reviewed) and Press
- Research featured in The New York Times series Science Take. “How teamwork brings home the tuna in Lego Land.” James Gorman, November 14, 2016. Available at: Link.
- Research featured in Inside JEB. “Cooperative ants are more than the sum of their parts.” Kathryn Knight, November, 2016. Journal of Experimental Biology. 219: 3309-3310
- Breed, M.D. and McCreery, H.F. (2014). “Animal behavior: Social recognition in crickets.” Current Biology. Vol. 24(23): R1123-R1124. [PDF]
- Research featured in the Scientific American blog: Not Bad Science. Felicity Muth, September 18, 2013. Link.
Selected Conference Presentations and Posters
- McCreery, H. F. and Nagpal, R. “Group navigation in the face of obstacles during cooperative transport.” Presentation at the American Society of Naturalists Meeting. Asilomar, California; January 2016.
- McCreery, H. F. and Nagpal, R. “Group navigation in the face of obstacles during cooperative transport.” Presentation at 2015 Entomological Society of America National Meeting. Minneapolis, Minnesota; November 2015.
- McCreery, H.F. “Reaching students through teachers: How to run a science workshop for K-12 teachers.” Presentation at SciComm 2015: A symposium on effective science communication. Lincoln, Nebraska; October 2015.
- McCreery, H.F. “Proximate mechanisms of efficient cooperative transport in ants.” Presentation at 2014 Entomological Society of America National Meeting. Portland, Oregon; November 2014.
- McCreery, H.F. and Correll, N. “What information must individuals perceive for cohesive cooperative transport?” Poster at 2014 Biological Distributed Algorithms Workshop, associated with Distributed Computer 2014. Austin, Texas; October 2014.
- McCreery, H.F. “Cooperative transport in ants.” Presentation at 2013 Animal Behavior Society Meeting. Boulder, Colorado; July 2013.
- McCreery, H.F. “Why are some ants brilliant at collective transport?” Presentation at 2012 International Union for the Study of Social Insects – North American Section Breakout Meeting. Greensboro, North Carolina; October 2012.