Download my complete CV here.
- McCreery, H.F., Bilek, J.N. U, Nagpal, R., Breed, M.D. (2019). “Effects of load mass and size on cooperative transport in ants over multiple transport challenges.” Journal of Experimental Biology, 222. [Link]
- Hund, A.K., Churchill, A.C., Faist, A.M., Havrilla, C.A., Love Stowell, S.M., McCreery, H.F., Ng, J., Scordato, E.S.C. (2018). "Transforming mentoring in STEM by training graduate students and postdocs." Ecology and Evolution. [Link]
- Sankovitz, M.A., Breed, M.D., McCreery, H.F. (2018). "Effects of Formica podzolica ant colonies on soil moisture, nitrogen, and plant communities near nests." Ecological Entomology. [Link]
- Esterly, E.E., McCreery, H.F., Nagpal, R. (2017). "Models of adaptive navigation, inspired by ant transport in the presence of obstacles. In: Proceedings of the Artificial Life Conference 2017, IEEE. [Link]
- McCreery, H.F. (2017). “A comparative approach to cooperative transport in ants: individual persistence correlates with group coordination.” Insectes Sociaux. 64:535-547. [PDF]
- McCreery, H.F., Dix, Z., Breed, M.D., Nagpal, R. (2016). “Collective strategy for obstacle navigation during cooperative transport by ants.” Journal of Experimental Biology. 219: 3366-3375. [PDF]
- McCreery, H.F., Correll, N., Breed, M.D., Flaxman, S. (2016). “Consensus or deadlock? Simple behavioral rules and their consequences for coordination in self-organized groups.” PLoS ONE. 11(9): e0162768. [Link]
- Breed, M.D., Cook, C.N., McCreery, H., Rodriguez, M. (2015). “Nestmate recognition in eusocial insects: The honeybee as a model system.” In Social Recognition in Invertebrates, L. Aquiloni and E. Tricarico, eds, Springer.
- McCreery, H.F. and Breed, M.D. (2014). “Cooperative transport in ants: a review of proximate mechanisms.” Insectes Sociaux. 61: 99-110. [PDF]
- Pizzaro, L.C., McCreery, H.F., Lawson, S.P., Winston, M.E., and O’Donnell, S. (2012). “Sodium-specific foraging by leafcutter ant workers (Atta cephalotes, Hymenoptera: Formicidae).” Ecological Entomology. Vol. 37: 435-348. [PDF]
- O’Keefe, K.J., Silander, O.K., McCreery, H., Weinreich, D.M., Wright, K.M., Chao, L., Edwards, S.V., Remold, S.K., and Turner, P.E. (2010). “Geographic differences in sexual reassortment in RNA phage.” Evolution. Vol. 64: 3010-3023.
- In review: Ålund, M., Emery, N., Jarrett, B.J.M.*, MacLeod, K.J.*, McCreery, H.F.*, Mamoozadeh, N.*, Phillips, J.G.*, Schossau, J.*, Thompson, A.W.*, Warwick, A.R.*, Yule, K.M.*, Zylstra, E.R.*, Gering, E. “To support a sustainable postdoc workforce, academic ecosystems must evolve.” *Authors listed alphabetically
- In review: McCreery, H.F. "Cooperative transport" entry for Encyclopedia of Social Insects, IUSSI.
Non-refereed Publications and Press
- The New York Times: Research featured in series Science Take. “How teamwork brings home the tuna in Lego Land.” James Gorman, November 14, 2016.
- Scientific American: Research featured in gif column, "Cannibalistic Cancer, Protection from “Blast Belly” and Chicken Inner Space: Science GIFs to Start Your Week." Kelso Harper and Jeffery DelViscio, September 30, 2019.
- Small Pond Science, guest post: McCreery, H.F. (2018) "Learning to be a better mentor and leader."
- Insectes Sociaux blog: McCreery, H.F. (2017). "Do persistent ants work better together?"
- Research featured in Inside JEB. “Cooperative ants are more than the sum of their parts.” Kathryn Knight, November, 2016. Journal of Experimental Biology. 219: 3309-3310
- Scientific American blog: Not Bad Science. Felicity Muth, September 18, 2013.
- Breed, M.D. and McCreery, H.F. (2014). “Animal behavior: Social recognition in crickets.” Current Biology. Vol. 24(23): R1123-R1124. [PDF]